Sunday 28 April 2013

Post Six Nations Lions XV - Left Wing



Warren Gatland is starting to unnerve me slightly.  Is it just me or does he seem to be at every single game being played that involves a semi-decent side from the UK and Ireland?  I’ve concluded that he must be using body doubles - so if you’re a grumpy, chunky, grey haired Kiwi with an unreliable pair of ankles, I suspect there are employment opportunities for you.  But, with only 4 days until the Lions squad announcement, I really need to get my skates on, so here’s RuckedOver’s selection for the left wing spot.

Left Wing

The number 11 is probably the only thing Jonah Lomu and Shane Williams have in common – unless they are both avid collectors of Pokemon cards or something similar that we don’t know about yet.  But, despite all the differences, that one similarity should tell you one thing – your left winger is your ‘wow’ man.  Jason Robinson in 2001 wore the number 11 jersey, and he etched himself into history with an unceremonial skinning of Chris Latham.  With my Lions side, I want my left winger to have that sort of “crowd on their feet” factor on the kick return, but also have the brains to work hard for the ball and to get involved as much as possible off the 10s shoulder – especially if the Lions have an aggressive fly half like Johnny Sexton playing flat to the gainline.  So who are the maestros fighting it out for that magical 11 shirt? 

TEST STARTER: GEORGE NORTH.  The word ‘specimen’ is often overused these days, but I personally think it was developed specifically for George North.  How someone that tall (6 foot 4) and heavy (nearly 18 stone) can be that quick and nimble on his feet is downright unfair.  I am none of the above and I deserve to be at least one (although I could probably make 18 stone with a few takeaway pizzas).  But what sets this guy apart – for me – is his rugby brain.  He is rock solid in defence and great under the high ball, but he also knows what lines to hit off the 10 and where to exploit weak spots in the opposition defence.  He may not have been in stunning form in the 6 Nations but he still made the most metres out of the Welsh back 3 – despite scoring only 1 try to Cuthbert’s four – and he just has that raw talent that has the potential to break apart tight games.  I think the fly half’s shoulder will be a key area for the Lions to attack in Australia and, through the eyes of an Aussie, I can think of no-one worse to face on an inside line or outside arch than the ‘Welsh Lomu’ himself. Plus it seems that his dad is good value (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21403912)


DIRT TRACKER:  SIMON ZEBO.  Why Zebo?  Well, why not?  I want my left winger to be able provide a spark, to make things happen when nothing is on, and Zebo is one of those rare players with that ability.  He may lack North’s size and power, but his footwork and speed is dazzling and his cultured left boot is a valuable asset to any side.  Plus, any true fan of northern hemisphere rugby would have to accept that, after his ridiculous piece of skill against Wales in the Six Nations, he pretty much has to be selected in order to show all those smug Super Rugby fans that the Europeans can entertain a bit as well.  Not only does he tick the boxes for his physical ability and skill levels, but he also has a superb mental attitude, displaying utter commitment on the pitch and, by all accounts, being a positive influence away from it.  He has a way to go before he makes my Test side but, like when Zebo has the ball, anything is possible.


Who misses out then?  Well, for me, the obvious candidate is Tim Visser.  Still relatively new to international rugby, the flying Dutch/Scotsman has a great strike rate, and he showcased his finishing ability on occasion during the Six Nations – but I know I’m not alone in thinking that he looked like a bit of a headless chicken when under pressure.  The Aussie wingers are all quick, strong and smart players – and my view is that Visser doesn’t have the rugby-grey-matter to deal with them just yet...it may be one international season too soon for him.  Out of the other candidates, you’d have to be a real risk taker to pick one – Eli Walker was looking great for the Ospreys but didn’t see any international action, whilst Tom Varndell remains both the best finisher in England and the wettest blanket in defence (although I think he’s earned himself at least another shot at an England jersey), so they don’t get a look in.

Who would you pick in your Lions’ 11 jersey?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your views