Tuesday 23 April 2013

Post Six Nations Lions XV - Number 8


To my horror, I’ve only just twigged that the Lions squad announcement is only one week away, which means I really have to get my skates on with this squad selection.  All the papers are already claiming they have ‘exclusive’ inside knowledge on who’s going and who’s staying, but because I’m a tremendously arrogant and ignorant individual, I’m going to ignore what the papers are predicting and pick the two chaps who I think should be vying for that number 8 spot this summer – and one of the picks is pretty leftfield...

Number 8

Number 8s are a bit of a rare breed.  Gone are the days of gargantuan individuals with a weight problem only matched by the height, exemplified by the mighty Dean Richards in the 80s/90s (although Nick Easter still flies that particular flag) – nowadays you have to be a supreme athlete as well.  Almost as tall as a second row, as strong as a prop and with an engine that just keeps on chugging.  But one thing I’ve noticed of late is that the home nations are struggling to produce really big-carrying number 8s, with everyone’s standouts Jamie Heaslip and Toby Faletau making more waves with their defensive abilities rather than charging over the gainline with tearful defenders clinging off their back.  With my picks on the flank – Robshaw and Warburton – I need a number 8 who’s an out and out carrier, a bulldozer that will have Quade Cooper requiring a change of underwear at every break in play.  And that’s why I’ve pulled a surprise with my first pick at the back of the scrum...

TEST STARTER:  SEAN O’BRIEN.   Seriously.  I’m usually all for the logic of not playing players ‘out of position’, and I know he plays 7 for Ireland and 6/7 for Leinster, but he’s filled that famous blue shirt plenty of times with the number 8 on his back (check out the highlights video), and he’s probably the most destructive ball carrier in the home nations - with the exception of one injury prone individual (see below).  Not the tallest, he is lightening quick off the mark – important when picking off the base of the scrum – and has a ferocious fend, great offload and a generally entertaining ‘bump’ ability (when opposition tacklers are forced to either sit down or try their hand as a door mat).  He made more metres (187) in the Six Nations than Heaslip (67) and Faletau (116)combined, as well as topping the actual ball carrying charts – up there with Faletau and Picamoles.  He has all the attributes and experience to be a Test quality 8 for the Lions and even though there are more regular candidates to choose, with two workhorse flankers I need a real powerhouse – and O’Brien fits the bill perfectly.


BENCHER: TOBY FALETAU.  I genuinely think this guy is the classiest back rower in the UK.  When he first came on to the scene, everyone thought he was just going to be power-packing lump, but he’s developed into a wonderfully intelligent and industrious number 8.  An astonishing defender, he finished the World Cup in 2011 with a colossal statistic – 75 tackles made, 0 missed.  His carrying has been a bit hit and miss lately – he made a huge 60 metres against Ireland but then faded slightly as the tournament went on.  His modesty when playing down his Lions chances is also indicative of a grounded character who just wants to get his head down and work for the team – a great trait to have.  I’d like his carrying to be a little bit more bullish, but I can’t fault his work rate in the loose and his blockbusting defensive abilities.  He’s on my bench for now, but I reckon he’ll be pushing all the way for a starting spot.


And what of the other contenders?  Well, Jamie Heaslip won’t like being left out, and to be honest I’m angry with him.  I had him down, along with plenty others, as being a potential Lions captain prior to this tour – but he’s actually played himself out of contention and made me look stupid.  Usually so reliable, he had a mistake-ridden Six Nations, was uninspiring when Ireland were rudderless and was exceptionally poor on the carry (he made a grand total of 5 metres in his first 2 games – we’re getting into Steve Borthwick territory there).  He may well go because Gatland likes him, but in my view, he shouldn’t travel on form.  Far more unlucky is Johnnie Beattie, who looked great in parts for Scotland with some eye catching displays, but did go missing on occasion and has struggled to hold down a starting spot for Montpellier – but I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if he was selected.  Are there any contenders from England?  James Haskell?  Banterous but limited.  Nick Easter?  Doubtful.  Thomas Waldrom?  Just no.  Ben Morgan?  Now, there’s my wildcard pick.  Cursed with injury at a key time this season, Morgan was sorely missed by England after a tremendously impressive opening against Scotland where he consistently barrelled through defenders, and by my reckoning he’s the best ball-carrying number 8 out of the Home Nations.  He’s shown what he’s capable of on his return for Gloucester, but it’s probably come too late – but if he is called up, I think he could be incredibly effective.

 
Who would you pick at 8 for the Lions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your views